Saturday, July 11, 2015

Mad Tea Party – A Bohemian Repast

It’s time for A Fanciful Twist’s 8th Annual Mad Tea Party!

Come! Come in out of the heat and sit for a spell. Brush the dust off your weary feet and leave your worries at the door. 







Dip your head beneath the silk veils and lounge in my quiet corner. If we are lucky, there may even be a tale or two…












Here, have a glass of mint tea.

Refresh yourself with succulent oranges and sticky roasted figs drowning in cream. Mmmm…that should please a Jinnee or two.






Can you smell it?
The fragrant perfume of orange blossoms and sweet mint is wafting in through my humble door, and the summer air is redolent with the savory scent of toasted almonds, the warm spice of cinnamon, and the citrusy aroma of cardamom.

That would be the sweetmeats and confections, fresh from the oven and dripping in sugar syrup. With recipes hailing from Morocco and Lebanon and Israel (with a few of my own special twists thrown in), we’re sure to have a delicious afternoon.





Just-sweet-enough ma’amoul cookies…fig and orange centers coated with a crumbly semolina shortbread and dusted with powdered sugar.






The cake of many names…whether it’s called basbousa, namoura, or revani, this semolina and coconut cake soaked in syrup is fit for a sheikha.



Tales of Shahrazád and her one thousand and one nights float through the room.





With an empty teapot and only sticky crumbs left on our plates, it may be time for a nap…and maybe a midafternoon hafla?




Who needs tales when life is as mouthwatering and magical as it is?







I have read that ma’amoul are celebration cookies, prevalent all over the Middle East, where they are made for both Muslim and Christian holidays. Traditionally shaped in decorative wooden molds and stuffed with dates or nuts, I have taken a liberty by stuffing my ma’amoul with ground figs (not unheard of, but not as customary it seems). Shaping them by hand is relatively easy, if not a bit time consuming. But it can be relaxing on a quiet morning. They are the perfect complement to tea or coffee.

Ma’amoul (Yield: 14 cookies)

Dough
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. semolina flour
1 tbsp. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. whole milk
1 tsp. orange blossom water

  1. Stir together the dry ingredients in a bowl, making sure everything is fully incorporated.
  2. Using a fork, smash in the butter, smearing it into the flour mixture until it becomes sandy.
  3. Pour in the oil, milk, and orange blossom water, and fold the ingredients together until you have a homogenous dough. Allow it to sit while you make the filling.


Filling
Heavy 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
Heavy 1/4 c. chopped dried figs (about 5 dried figs)
1” piece of orange rind, pith removed and cut into thin strips
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fig preserves

  1. Place all the ingredients, besides the preserves, in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until everything becomes finely ground.
  2. Add the preserves and pulse until the mixture clumps together and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.


To assemble the ma’amoul:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325º F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a nonstick mat.
  2. On a lightly floured board, divide the dough into fourteen equally sized portions and roll them into balls.
  3. Do the same with the fig mixture. You’ll use about a teaspoon of mixture for each portion, and they will come together like little truffles.
  4. Take a ball of dough and flatten it in your palm to make about a 2 1/2-3” circle.
  5. Place a fig “truffle” into the center of the dough, pinch the sides of the dough together around it, making a little package. Roll the whole thing together between your palms until it is smooth, and then slightly flatten the top of the cookie. Prick the top with a fork. Place it on the baking sheet, and then repeat the process for the rest of the cookies. Leave about 1 1/2" between the cookies. 
  6. Bake the cookies for 30 minutes, or until the bottoms are very slightly golden. Allow them to cool and then dust with powdered sugar.



Take a peek at last year’s mad tea adventure!




Sources:

Barbey, William, Edward William Lane, and Edward Stanley Poole. The Thousand and One Nights, Commonly Called, in England, The Arabian Nights' Entertainments. London: Routledge, Warne and Routledge, 1865. Print.

Roden, Claudia. The New Book of Middle Eastern Food. New York: Knopf, 2000. Print.


41 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tea party, one I would thoroughly enjoy.
    Thanks for the cookie recipe, it was my choice of sweets today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. The food so inviting. I think I just gained a few pounds. :) From Designing Fairy's party. http://healingfairyalphabet.com/2015/07/11/join-the-fairy-mad-tea-party/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know I gained a few myself...haha! Heading over to your soiree right now! :)

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! Thank you for sharing this beautiful culture with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it - it was fun for me to explore as well. Thank you for tea-partying with me! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, what beautiful treats! Everything is so inviting and offers a sense of magic. Love the quote about pastries. I'm going to remember that one.
    Thanks for the mint tea. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are just beautiful!
    Love your elegant tea ware and so glad you shared your cookie recipe!
    The quote about pastries is fabulous too- might put that on my kitchen wall :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christina! Enjoy the recipe! :)

      Delete
  6. Love your beautiful food pictures, they make me so hungry, Like the way you tied in the Moroccan and Arabian influence too! Please visit me at Plumfield
    http://plumfieldhousegardens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) Hopping on over to your party now!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the exotic twist on the Mad Tea Party! I can smell the orange blossom and cardamom... :-)

    Please come to my party: http://www.moonlyf.com/2015/07/8th-annual-mad-tea-party.html

    ~♥Carmen♥~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :) Can't wait to come to your tea party, Carmen!!

      Delete
  8. The tea is very refreshing and now I am stuffed with delightful pastries.
    A lovely day to lounge and listen to exotic tales.

    http://dogsmomvisits.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-fanciful-twists-8th-annual-virtual.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those days are always the best days. :) And I am coming to your tea party - so sorry I'm late!

      Delete
  9. Ooooo, scrumptious, elegant, gorgeous, beautiful!! Loved your photos so much! Happiest mad tea party wishes <3, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much!! :) This Mad Tea Party weekend was too much fun! Thanks again for hosting such a whimsy-filled event! <3

      Delete
  10. So lovely, my Dear...I thoroughly enjoyed your post!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely, my Dear...I thoroughly enjoyed your post!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. that was wonderful. I feel as though I have traveled afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite things about cooking and baking - I'm so glad you liked the post. :)

      Delete
  13. So delicious! I wish I was actually there and could try all of your desserts! Thanks for the ideas and recipes so I can try them myself. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Please feel free to share pictures with me when you do!

      Delete
  14. Your photographs are beautiful and the pastries look divine! I have always used my food processor to infuse sugar with lemon zest, I had no idea it could be done by hand! Thanks for a wonder filled party. Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sarah! Yes, it's one of my fave cooking techniques. It's probably just me, but I like to get my hands in my food as much as I can. Also, cleaning the food processor feels like such a chore to me, haha! ;)

      Delete
  15. Yummmmm! I loved your delicious treats and beautiful photos. I had a wonder-full time!
    Hugs,
    ~Susan
    http://flutterbeforeyou.blogspot.com/2015/07/mad-hatters-tea-party-2015-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummmmm! I loved your delicious treats and beautiful photos. I had a wonder-full time!
    Hugs,
    ~Susan
    http://flutterbeforeyou.blogspot.com/2015/07/mad-hatters-tea-party-2015-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your treats should win a prize....the filled cookies look so delicious! Lovely, exotic party. Thanks for having me!

    Linking from A Fanciful Twist,
    Happy Mad Tea Party!
    Ricki Jill

    http://ricki-treleaven.blogspot.com/2015/07/8th-annual-mad-tea-party-plus-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your treats should win a prize....the filled cookies look so delicious! Lovely, exotic party. Thanks for having me!

    Linking from A Fanciful Twist,
    Happy Mad Tea Party!
    Ricki Jill

    http://ricki-treleaven.blogspot.com/2015/07/8th-annual-mad-tea-party-plus-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so enjoyed your party - a very unique party. I never thought of mint tea, though I know the March Hare would love it. Our Sir Fernly gobbles down mint with rapid abandon. It delighted me to rethink my usual take on tea. Your photographs are stunning. Thanks for having me to your tea party.

    The kettle's still whistling over at my party. Come visit, if you like:
    http://reclaimingmybohomojo.blogspot.com/2015/07/mad-tea-party-2015-double-vision.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's always wonderful to hear my tea party guests had a good time. This had been my first time brewing mint tea as well, and I have to say, it is now one of my favorites! :)

      Delete
  20. I'm late for tea, but I'm here now. I love the name of your blog and how it became. I love the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has definitely been a fun journey thus far. I hope you enjoy browsing Rubbing Sugar. Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know if you ever give one of my recipes a try! :)

      Delete
  21. Oh how lovely your tea is!!! I have been making my way slowly so I am very late! I'm so glad you shared this recipe, someone just offered me figs from their tree! Mint tea is a total fave of mine. Thank you so much for sharing and popping by my tea as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad you enjoyed the tea! I'm sure the fresh figs were delicious! :)

      Delete